Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

electricity question

It's not clear to me whether I'll need to buy a power converter for our Japan trip. Tokyo is 50Hz/100V, and Kyoto is 60Hz/100V.

My laptop spec says: 68 watts maximum + 10% (16V/AC100-240V). So I wouldn't need a 120V-to-100V converter, I think. But what about the frequency difference? Is that not an issue?


( 7 comments — Leave a comment )
Mar. 8th, 2005 01:07 am (UTC)
Vague memory from sister's tenure in Japan: no power adapter necessary.

My laptop (the cheapest Dell available) is good for 50-60 Hz 100-240V; I sort of assume all others are too.
Mar. 8th, 2005 06:50 am (UTC)
You shouldn't need one for the laptop, but you should double-check the plug style. I can't remember the plug format. Maybe SaintRandall can help you out there.

Also, I can't remember when you're going, but if there's time, you can borrow my travel power adapter and/or travel laptop adapter if you want it. The power adapter should convert voltage, plug format, etc. The laptop adapter is an iGo iJuice, which has tips for different laptops and plugs for walls, cars, and planes.

Let me know.
Mar. 8th, 2005 05:40 pm (UTC)
It looks like Japan uses the same plug styles we do. Thanks anyway, though!
Mar. 9th, 2005 01:58 am (UTC)
You won't exactly need any adapter, but they always have two hole plugs-ins, so if you have a three pronged plug you will need an adapter down to a two prong. Did that make any sense at all? Our three pronged, grounded plugs don't exist there, only two, so the outlets in the wall only have two holes. Anyway, I'm sure you get what I'm saying.
Mar. 9th, 2005 01:59 am (UTC)
Yeah, just like your link already said. :)
Mar. 9th, 2005 04:27 pm (UTC)
I brought my laptop when I went. You don't need any adapters. The only difference with the plugs is that they don't have polarized plugs like we do (ie where one of the flat prongs is a little bit wider than the other) so if yer one wide prong is too wide, it might not fit in the socket. Again, my laptop was fine, but some other stuff I brought over (shaver), I had to crop down that wider prong with a file a little bit.

Also, they don't have three-prong plugs there at all, like we do with the two flat prongs and the one round (ground) prong.
Mar. 9th, 2005 08:07 pm (UTC)
Laptops really run off DC, and they need a hurky power supply as well (i.e. greater than 10 watts or so) so they can't use a wall-wart. So basically all laptops have power supplies that can be used anywhere in the world with only a plug adapter, because they actually use decent rectification.

Really, the only thing that actually cares in terms of AC frequency are clocks and (sometimes) televisions. Some clocks still do use AC frequency to keep time - even digital ones. It's frightening how stupid that is, but they do.

Just about anything else will run almost exactly the same at 50 Hz as it does at 60 Hz. Some things will run a little faster/slower (like the clock) but it doesn't usually matter.

Is it really true that Japan has multiple frequency standards? That's *bizarre*. But don't try to take a cheapo alarm clock from home. :)
( 7 comments — Leave a comment )